Monday, August 23, 2010

Close call....

So this past weekend I was able to go down to Beaver and stay at my bishops cabin with a bunch of kids from my ward. It was a blast to say the least. He was kind enough to feed us delicious food, show us around the ski resorts and let us ride his four wheelers....oh the four wheelers...what an experience. So my Bishop took a few of us out on a tour of the mountain on the four wheeler. I was spoiled enough to be able to ride by myself on the best four wheeler he had...what can I say...my bishop loves me :) I was on a scrambler which is ones that they take on the sand dunes...so they go real fast and slide A LOT...it's super easy to fish tail....Let's just say that on Saturday I was in my element....until I almost died and almost killed my friend....I know...a tad bit scary. So let's talk about my near death experience but totally awesome all at the same time...
To start off, my bishop was leading the pack...there were 4 four wheelers. There was a couple that had never ridden them before and a couple that had. Because I had driven them before, my bishop wanted me to follow him and then the couple who never rode to follow me so they could follow my tracks and then another couple to trail behind them to make sure nothing happened. Nothing against them at all...but I couldn't be too daring since they had to follow my tracks....I had to take it easy. Eventually I told my bishop that I couldn't handle how slow they were going and the fact that I couldn't do anything...he let me go in the back so I could play around a little bit :).....BAD IDEA. Once I got in the back of the pack I felt like I was free....the wind blowing...dirt in my teeth and up my nose (you know how it goes)....sooo I decided to go off a jump....first one was a success....then there was another one right after...I gunned it and sure enough landed on my front two wheels...slammed my body into the handle bars and just about flipped my four wheeler. I started cracking up knowing that I almost got destroyed by hundreds of pounds of metal...ALMOST is the key word here. Well, knowing me...this didn't stop me from continuing with what I was doing. I saw another jump about an hour later and decided it was time again....went off the jump...put on the breaks way too soon...started to slide on one side...started to feel the four wheeler roll...decided to jerk the handles the opposite way...totally fish tailed out of it. You can just see it. It was so awesome. But I decided to stop and see if my friend behind me had seen what happened. I didn't realize I was so close to the base of the jump. I turned around, had seen my friend land (REALLY CLOSE TO ME)...she had to break really hard and jerk the handle bars to the right to avoid hitting me...All I saw was a big cloud of dust...my friend and her boyfriend launched about 5 feet with the four wheeler rolling towards them... My friend stood up and started laughing because she was so scared...meanwhile I still saw the four wheeler rolling towards her...I screamed out to her "Nikki...MOVE!" Her boyfriend jumped up shoved her out of the way and literally grabbed the four wheeler and jerked it back on all 4 wheels. Let's just say the four wheeler was on it's two side wheels literally just about to roll over one of my best friends....Talk about SCARY. Luckily they both just got some scratches and bruises...it could have been a lot worse than it was. And luckily our bishop didn't see (we're planning on telling him next week at church) Moral of the story?....I've decided I'm a boy at heart and I should probably not be overly daring on a piece of equipment that weighs about 5 times as much as I do. It was still SO much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment